Monday, July 15, 2013

KIDNEY STORIES: A KIDNEY FOR LUCY

 
 
 

Hello. My name is Lucy. I am 34 years old, and I desperately need a kidney. The first question people ask is why am I in renal failure at such a young age. No, I'm not diabetic nor did I do anything to harm my kidneys. I was born with an auto-immune disease called IgA Nephropathy that destroyed my kidneys. I do periotoneal dialysis every night for nine hours with a machine. Sadly, the machine weak...ens my heart a little more every night. If it gets too weak, then I'm not as good as a candidate for a kidney transplant.

What I desperately need is a kidney. I don't have any family donors. I'm an only child, and much of family is much older and not in good enough health for the transplant. I also have type O blood, which is making it harder to find a donor. I feel horrible for searching in a way, like I'm begging for organs, but I really just want a life beyond this dialysis machine. I want to go back to teaching. I want to travel. I just want a life.

Thanks for reading and have a lovely day.
Hello Ms. Stacy,

I am emailing you because I received an email from the UK Hospital stating that you were interested in checking up on your transplant status on the kidney transplant waitlist. You currently have 445 days on the waitlist and you are listed active. The average wait time that blood type O recipients tend to wait is between 730 – 915 days on the kidney transplant waitlist. I hope this helps with your question, and please call me at (859) 323-1152 for any questions or concerns. Hope you are doing well and hope to call you in soon for that kidney transplant.



Isaac Payne RN, CCTC

Kidney/Pancreas Transplant Coordinator

University of Kentucky Transplant Center
 
TAGS:kidney for lucy, Ning, Live Journal, Tumblr, Weebly, WordPress, Facebook, Kidney Stories, Jim Myers, kidney, dialysis, blood, transfusion, donor, recipient, seeking, awareness, National Kidney Foundation, Indiana University, sharing, kidney disease, End Stage Renal Failure, polycystic kidney disease, chronic kidney disease, kidney for, diabetic, save my life, living kidney donor, organ donation, find a kidney for, NCS, share a spare, transplant list, fundraiser, donate life,

No comments:

Post a Comment