Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Draft of mine and Mary's COVID-19 Blogs


COVID-19 AND OUR RECENT HOSPITALIZATIONS





JIM'S STORY


COVID-19 AND MY RECENT HOSPITALIZATION


I was recently hospitalized in Munster Community Hospital, in Munster, Indiana from May 12th to May 17th, 2020. The official diagnosis was Gastrointestinal Hemmorrhage.
After a NM GI Bleeding Scan, an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy, it was determined that I had Ulcers and Diverticulitis. Apparently, the majority of the bleeding was caused by a diverticuli that burst.

I have PKD, (polycystic kidney disease). I am currently a kidney transplant patient, who recently celebrated my 4 year anniversary! I am one of those guys that is more susceptible to the virus than your average person.

What I wish to talk about today was the precautions members of the hospital staff and physicians took to protect me from the Coronavirus.

PHYSICIAN AND STAFF COVID-19 PROTECTIONS

I was put on the 3rd floor, the heart and kidney floor of the hospital which is a non-COVID-19 wing of the hospital. I had a nurse and an aid on every shift. I had a Gastro doc, a Nephrologist, and a Hospitalist that visited me at least once a day. I have a port for blood draws and infusions. A member of the IV team (a nurse) checked my connection to my port and infusion bag at least twice a day. The nurses and the aides dropped by my room at least once an hour. The maintenance staff came by once a day. A social worker stopped by twice during my stay. So there was a lot of contact between myself and employees from the hospital.

Here are some of the ways the Doctors and Staff tried to protect me from Cyrus the Virus:

1. Social Distancing - I noticed everytime I had contact or a conversation with anyone from the hospital, they stood a minimum of six feet away from me;
2. Person Protective Equipment- I noticed that all physicians and staff wore PPE in my room at all times. This included masks, gowns, gloves and sometimes even shoe coverings. My Hospitalist also wore a face shield in addition to the other PPE.
3. Expectations for me during room visits- I was asked to wear a facemask any time someone came into the room. I was also asked not to shake hands or touch anyone.
4. Gloves- There were boxes of form-fitting plastic gloves in boxes in my room that came in sizes from small to large. I noticed that every time a nurse, doctor or aide came into the room, they would put on the gloves when they came into my room and immediately despose of them when they left. This may be standard operating procedure, but there seemed to be more of an emphasis on not taking a set of gloves from one patient room to the next than I normally observed during a hospital stay. I have been fighting kidney disease for over 40 years now, and I average about 2 hospital stays a year. I don't recall seeing this much deliberate precision in the past.
5. Walking- Near the end of my stay, I walked around the floor to help prepare me to go home. My friend, the IV stand and a nurse had to come with me. I was asked to wear a mask and the nurse and people in the hallways maintained their social distance.
6. Admission & Discharge- I came into the hospital by ambulance because I was extremely light-headed due to blood loss and not able to ambulatory. Although social distancing was not possible under these conditions, PPE was worn at all times and I was masked. On discharge, the nurse did wheel me to the Lyft ride share that took me home. Same story, full PPE for her, mask for me. Even the Lyft driver had a plastic shield between the front and back seats and was wearing a mask.

CONCLUSION

The healthcare professionals at Munster Community not only took very good care of me, the made every effort to make sure I was protected from the virus. I greatly appreciate their help and professionalism. I would also like to thank all of my friends and my son, Jim, who supported me during my stay, and gave me a warm welcome home. I would like to thank my landlords at Mt Zion for helping me obtain an ambulance. I hope this blog gives those of you that need medical care for something other than the Coronavirus, the confidence to contact your local emergency room or health care team. They will take all necessary steps to try to keep you safe and informed. Peace my friends!







MARY'S STORY 

Mary Baliker This is a rough draft of my notes. My experience as a kidney transplant recipient (20 years out) during COVID-19. It starts with chills, shakes, total body aches, dry cough, and fever of 103.8. Called my transplant coordinator she referred me to my primary care doctor as it is possible that I had COVID-19. Primary Care referred me to telehealth. There I talked with a physician assistant who thought I should be seen in person at urgent care. Medical staff thought I might have COVID. When I arrived at the clinic, staff were masked and gloved at the door. They asked medical questions if I was having any symptoms and checking temperatures. Then went to receptionist desk. Receptionist was glassed in with a small open area for her to talk, she was also masked. Being immunocompromised and a transplant recipient I did not feel comfortable going in the busy waiting room. I asked if I could wait in my car until I could be seen. She checked with the nurse and instead the nurse took me back to a clinic room. The medical staff were gowned, gloved, masked and wore a face shield. The nurse also told me I was the first person in the room that day and it had been thoroughly cleaned. I felt safe. I thought I could possibly have a UTI not symptomatic, as I do not usually have symptoms. I requested that the doctor also add a urine culture to the tests. She ordered a COVID test, Chest x ray, lab work, she was not going to run my transplant labs so I called my transplant coordinator so she would add these as well. The UA was positive, so antibiotics were called in to pharmacy. The doctor said the COVID test would be back in 12 hours and would call me in the morning. I did not get a call from urgent care, but I checked MyChart online and the test was negative. I was disappointed that I did not get a call for such an important result. After urgent care appointment transplant coordinator followed up due to sepsis concern and temperature. I felt comfortable that my transplant team was following me now. I felt I had isolated since early March practicing the safely at home, I had not been out to the grocery store, clinic or pharmacy. I order online for groceries and other things. Delivery to my home and put in garage for 24 - 48 hours. For my overall wellbeing I walk the neighborhood with my husband and dog or go to a park. I also have a routine working out at home that includes biking, elliptical, weights and yoga. Zoom calls have also helped make me feel connected to work colleagues, family and friends. Happy to say I am feeling better. Be safe and be your own advocate!   

No comments:

Post a Comment