Wednesday, May 8, 2013

KIDNEY STORIES: MESHIA'S HOPE



 

Hello, my name is Meshia and I am a kidney patient. I was diagnosed with end stage renal disease (ESRD) at the early age of seventeen. I was placed on dialysis for a short period of time and was blessed to have received the gift of a kidney transplant in March of 1995. My transplanted kidney changed my life and my quality of life was back again. Although my life changed drastically, I was able to graduate from high school and continue on with my life.

 

My transplanted kidney began to fail in July of 2010. I am happy to be able to say that my kidney lasted for fifteen years! The average life of a cadaver (from a deceased body) is 8-10 years. During that 15-year span I completed my Bachelor’s degree, got married and traveled to many places.

 

I was placed back on peritoneal dialysis in August of 2010 and later transitioned to hemodialysis. Despite the many challenges I have faced; almost losing my life to pneumonia, months of rehabilitation, two total hip replacements and two fractured feet, I have always remained positive and with a smile on my face. It is my strong faith; support circle and outlook on life that has helped me overcome these challenges.

 

I received my second kidney transplant, this time from a living donor, my husband in July of 2012. So far, I am doing well and living each day to the fullest. Before my transplant I wanted to help others living with this disease. I have a strong desire to give back and plan to use my talents to do so.

 

I would not trade my experiences as a kidney patient because it has shaped me to be who I am today. I have been fortunate to have people placed in my life that have taken excellent care of me and have given me a lot of support. What better way to thank those people by using my experiences and passion to help others? I hope to heal and empower people living with this disease and by sharing my story to offer hope.

 

I am starting my organization; Meshia’s Hope to help empower pre-dialysis, dialysis, and transplant patients. I am very compassionate about speaking up for patients who need a voice. I have the pleasure of being a patient ambassador on behalf of Dialysis Patient Citizens (DPC). I enjoy advocating about issues that affect kidney/dialysis patients. I look forward to partnering with like- minded individuals to raise awareness and be part of the movement to prevent kidney disease.

 

I started this group as a means to educate and reach out to others. I am here to offer guidance, support, and to be an advocate for those who are suffering from an illness--not just renal failure because there are other illnesses associated with kidney failure. 

Life is truly a precious gift and I am living proof of it. God bless!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
https://www.facebook.com/aihsem.adams?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/KidneyStories?ref=hl

TAGS:meshias hope, Ning, Live Journal, Tumblr, Weebly, WordPress, Facebook, Kidney Stories, Jim Myers, kidney, dialysis, blood, transfusion, donor, recipient, seeking, awareness, National Kidney Foundation, Indiana University, sharing, kidney disease, End Stage Renal Failure, polycystic kidney disease, chronic kidney disease, kidney for, diabetic, save my life, living kidney donor, organ donation, find a kidney for, NCS, share a spare, transplant list, fundraiser, donate life,

No comments:

Post a Comment